LocationMagarikari is located on an altitude of 450 meters on the flank of the Psiloritis Mountain. It has an amazing view to the Messara valley and the Lybian Sea.
HistoryMagarikari was first stated in history in 1583. The village was partly destroyed by Turks, as they burnt hundreds of houses and desecrated the church of the settlement. During the German Occupation, the village was destroyed completely. During the occupation 47 of their residents were captured as hostages. While being transported to the mainland their ship was torpedoed and all of them drowned. Georgios Petrakis, better known as the famous guerilla, Petrakogiorgis, was born in Magarikari in 1890. He was a Greek businessman, partisan, and politician. He was a leading figure in the Cretan resistance of the years 1941 – 1944 against the Axis occupation forces. He is well respected for his patriotism, courage, honesty, perspicacity and selflessness.
ChurchesThere are 4 churches in the village of Magarika :
- The one from Michael Archangel, celebrating the 8th of November
- The Exaltation of the Holy Cross - Timios Stavros, they day of commemoration is on the 14th of September. On this day they celebrate the cross itself, as the instrument of salvation.
- Panagia Kera celebrating on the 8th of September
- Agios Nektarios, celebrating on the 9th of November
SightseeingWorth visiting in the village are the ethnological little museum and the fountain at the entrance of the village. At the other end of the village you can find the Tower of Grammeni. It is one of the hundreds of fortresses built by the Turks in the 19th century to control the inland of Crete, and the Messara Passes, which seem to have been of great importance to them. The roofs of Grammeni are built on a hill near the main road with a wide field of view in every direction. It is a central coil, as it was called, with a rectangular shape with 24 loops. The interior is divided into three parts with the east having an oven, a fireplace with a chimney and a dining area. There are also fireplaces in the other two sections of the Tower which are 25x11 in total. Its walls are almost a meter thick and have been built with stones that were carried by a handful of Christian residents in the area. The location of this tower is prominent and fortified as it is protected by a transverse shield with the exception of its north side, where it is also accessible. Its courtyard was enclosed by a low wall, while in its northeast corner are the two-room ruins that may have served as accommodation for Turkish officers. Within the courtyard there is and still is in good condition a rainwater tank (sarnitsi). In this water flowed from the roof of the building through a groove. Although locals say the particular tower was built on the ruins of a Venetian fortress, it has not been officially confirmed. However, in May 1944 this building had been used by Magarikari residents as the Germans had destroyed their village and sought refuge in the cool place. © e-storieskritis.gr
No night life in Magarikari.